Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What are your deepest values?

This one took me a while to think about.  What are your deepest values?  I had to stop and take a minute to think what traits are at my core that is most valuable to me.  That is another way to phrase the question, right? So I had to reflect on a couple of examples for me to put my list together.


The Boy Scouts of America have a firm set of values that they live by in their scout law.  A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

I could probably guess what some of my wife's deepest values are.  She has a couple of those stick on phrases in different rooms of our home.  One of them reads: Family, always and forever.  I can assume that this is a big one on her list.

Another one in our family room invites us to "Live simply, speak kindly, and love often."  These do describe her accurately.  But enough about her, let's talk about me.

I know your judging me now and think that one of my values in the list is being narcissistic.  No its quite the opposite but I do need to segue into my list of deepest values.  Here they are.

  1. Faith
  2. Family
  3. Honesty
  4. Love
  5. Respect
  6. Trust
I don't see how I could live my life with out any one of these.  And I'm probably forgetting about some other important ones too!  How about you? What are your deepest values? Share them in a comment.

No comments: