Sunday, January 30, 2011

What My Father-In-Law Gave Me Tonight

I was inspired tonight to write a series of articles on this topic from a couple of items that my Father-In-Law instructed me to take home as his daughter, grand-children, and I left his home from one of our usual visits. I need to back up the story a little further and explain so that this post and series will make sense to you.

Almost every time we visit he usually sends items home with us.  If we are there to eat dinner; he will pack up a nice left over bag for us to have for lunch the next day or something to snack on later that night.  If there were no leftovers he seems to always have some kind of a gift for us to take with us. 
 
My Father-In-Law does have a keen sense of listening for items in his inventory that will solve a problem or issue that we may have casually mentioned earlier in the visit. While I do appreciate everything he gives me, believing that we may have a use for the item, some of the items are to funny or maybe an odd thing to be giving to anyone. 

Here are the items in my to-go bag from this evening:

Tonight's endowment was a can of Kipper Snacks. Naturally smoked fillets of Herring. Although I am not Jewish, I do appreciate the fact that these tasty snacks are Kosher.

Not pictured in the gift bag were accompanying cans of smoked oysters as well as the ever popular staple, sardines.  All bearing the Polar brand name. I've never heard of the Polar Company before but I'm sure they produce quality canned seafood.

It was a big night because in addition to the canned seafood I also received the pictured bottom half of a rain suit.  Just the pants!

Trying not to sound ungrateful, I asked if it came with the jacket.  My Father-In-Law said to me that "we will have to work on that later."

What do I know? Maybe there is a shortage of rain jackets and he only had a spare set of pants.  Oh well, I scored double tonight with the fish cans and rain suit pants. It made the theme of the visit kind of remind me of a Gorton's fish stick commercial or something.

Anyway I love him and appreciate the fact that he thinks so much about us that he wants to make sure that we are taking something home from the visit.  We joke and laugh about it now but as he also mentioned I'll probably be telling this story to his great grand children too.

No comments: